Sunday 12 December 2010

Track run

I really wasn't feeling it today. I was meant to go for a long run (15-20 miles) but just couldn't be bothered (unlike me). But rather than not go out all and mope around in my dressing gown I went to the local track (concrete 1/4 mile loop) and blasted out 20 laps (five miles). definitely not my usual Sunday morning run yet I got my head down and went for it!

The track was half frozen because of tall tree cover at one end. So I had to go for it on the dry half and be a bit more cautious (slow) on the icy half. However this didn't stop me setting the pace. My mile splits were 6:01, 5:59, 6:00, 6:04 and 5:54. Total time 29:58!!! This is actually the first time I have gone sub 30 minutes on a full 5 mile course. Whilst in racing terms I ran a 29:40 last year I measured the course at 4.89m so coming up short. With this being a 1/4 track, and confirmed by the garmin at exactly 5 miles this for me is the first sub 30 minute 5 miles I have ever run :-) Funny what you can achiee on a cold frosty Sunday morning when you don't even feel like running.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Christmas to you too Stu. I've seen a certain Mr Karnazes advertising the Eliptigo too; look's like you're gonna have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete